I was late to the Jasmine Star party.
And by that I mean that over 200k followers on Instagram, 200k followers on Facebook, 100k followers on Twitter, and 43k subscribers on YouTube found her first.
But, as we talk about in this episode, it doesn’t really matter how many followers she has—or YOU have, for that matter—because social media isn’t about popularity, it’s about profitability. In other words, figuring out how many followers you actually need if you want to engage more people and sell more products, programs or services.
When it comes to Jasmine and her social media strategy, I’d also add that it’s about authenticity. She refuses to automate anything, preferring instead to bring her full self to every post and conversation or interaction, and if you ever tweet @jasminestar or mention her on Instagram, it’s highly likely that she’ll respond to you personally.
When it comes to being a movement maker, I was struck by Jasmine’s desire to share stories from the heart that unify rather than divide people—which is also the reason she steers clear of religion and politics—as well as her thoughts about the (as I called it) “dark side” of social media in general, and how it can negatively impact our self-esteem and trigger Comparisonitis.
We hide our vulnerabilities… instead of saying “I don’t know what I’m doing.”
In this episode, you will learn:
- How Jasmine went from law school dropout to becoming one of the world’s top photographers
- The steep learning curve she had to go through at the beginning of her career, and how she navigated that
- What to do if you’re struggling with social media marketing
- Why Jasmine took a one-year sabbatical from her business
- Why she’s a big believer in respecting the platform, and what that means for your social media efforts
- Why the number of followers you have is not important
- What you should do if you’re allowing social media to dictate your self-worth
- How Jasmine deals with negative comments and haters
- Why she has invested heavily into finding the right mentors for her business
- What her daily routine looks like
- How she cultivates a consistent writing practice
I’d love to know what you think of this episode. Leave a comment below, or email me directly.
LINKS FROM THIS EPISODE
- The 100 Stories Worth Telling Project
- Rising Strong by Brené Brown
- Ep 4: Greg Faxon: Don’t Let The Fear Win
- Blog post: What if you treated your business like an experiment?
- Ep 12: Tanya Geisler: Stepping Into Your Starring Role
- Being Boss podcast: Episode #93 // Jasmine Star on authenticity and haters
- Blog post: How to find a mentor
- The Path to Profitability: Build your standout brand and grow your profitable creative business
- Insta 180: Attract the right follows, engage dream customers, and grow your business on Instagram
FOLLOW THE MOVEMENT MAKERS PODCAST ON SOCIAL MEDIA: