When I first created the Movement Makers podcast, it was because I’ve realized over the years that I am MOST passionate about supporting purpose-fueled entrepreneurs and mission-driven organizations who are ACTIVELY making a difference in the world.
Tammy Tibbetts is, without a doubt, a movement maker in that she is taking MASSIVE action to positively impact the lives of others.
At age 23, Tammy had an idea for a social media campaign that would fundraise for girls’ education in low-income countries. She shared her idea with a Facebook friend, they created a YouTube video, and that video became the She’s The First movement: a non-profit that fights gender inequality by supporting girls who will be first in their families to graduate from high school.
Today She’s The First reaches millions of people and has changed the lives of almost 1,000 students around the world.
Voted “Most Shy” in her high school yearbook, Tammy is anything but shy today. She is an outspoken, contagiously passionate keynote speaker and leader who has been shortlisted by Fast Company, Forbes, and Marie Claire. She is the 2013 recipient of Diane von Furstenberg’s People’s Voice Award and a 2016 Women’s eNews 21 Leaders Award. One of her personal triumphs was finishing the NYC Marathon in 2014 and sponsoring nine STF Scholars in the process.
Tammy has attracted support from Glamour’s The Girl Project, NoVo Foundation, Andrew & Ann Tisch Foundation, Diller-von Furstenberg Family Foundation, American Express Foundation, and Unilever, among others, and it was a true privilege for me to have her as my guest on the podcast.
In this episode, we talk about how Tammy’s movement was born on social media, how she went from heading up social media for Seventeen magazine to running a million-dollar revenue non-profit, and what to do if you want to use your voice but don’t know what to speak up for.
“Every person has a voice. To not use it is such a waste.”
In this interview, you will also learn:
- The top lessons Tammy had to learn when starting her movement
- The responsibilities of her current role, and how she manages her time
- How she uses technology to stay in touch with the people she serves
- Her top 3 tips if you’re thinking of launching a non-profit
- How Tammy harnesses the power of social media
- How visual storytelling helped her to amplify She’s The First’s message
- How Tammy navigates paid speaking engagements
- Tammy’s experience of delivering a TEDx talk
- How you can practically support She’s The First
LINKS FROM THIS EPISODE
- Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide
- Girl Rising film
- The Malala Fund
- Women’s Side Hustle Society Interview: No Leaping Required
- Upworthy website
- The Lady Project Summit
- Tanya Geisler: Stepping Into Your Starring Role